- Wear running shoes to work
- Choose a brand new running route
- Take your kids out for a run around the neighborhood
- Invite a friend to walk or run with you
- Set yourself a new running resolution
- Treat yourself to a new pair of running shoes
If you're a serious runner then you probably own multiple pairs of running shoes and you can probably spout out the names of various running shoe brands as well as each brand's most recently released shoe. Furthermore you have probably trialed most, if not all of the shoes you're able to verbally cite, and you've probably got your favorites narrowed down. But more than likely it took quite a long time to determine which shoes work for you and which ones don't.
|Some of my favorites - Salomon Trail; Mizuno Wave Riders and Precision; Nike Frees|
Other things to keep in mind include:
- Replacing your shoes every 200 to 300 miles, depending on the durability of your shoes. Runnersworld.com offers a free training log; I use this free tool to record my runs and also note which shoes I wear on each run. The log allows me to follow my training but it also keeps a separate log on my shoe mileage so I know when each pair of shoes will need to be replaced.
- If you can afford it, try having two pairs of running shoes available during a training cycle. By alternating run days with different pairs of shoes you will keep your shoes from wearing down too quickly and help prevent the odds of injuring yourself.
- If you're like me and like to run on both trails and pavement, you might want to consider buying an all-terrain shoe, or you could buy both road shoes and trail shoes. Ask some of your WOOT friends what trail shoes they run in.
- Once you progress a little further in your training and start to incorporate speedwork into your routine, you may also want to consider buying some lightweight racing shoes that are designed specifically for those faster-paced runs.
- Runningwarehouse.com has a great variety of running shoes available at reasonable prices and they also offer an additional 15% discount to WOOT members (you can email one of the WOOT site administrators if you would like to know the discount code).