Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day


A couple of years ago I remember setting out on an early morning run and being startled by a car that accidentally hit the curb just ahead of me. I was startled obviously by the car being so close to me, but I was further surprised when the left rear hubcap flew off the wheel, and the driver, completely oblivious to what had just happened, continued driving his car without stopping to collect his runaway hubcap.

Sometimes I think we mothers are so busy fulfilling the various roles we play throughout each day, that we too unknowingly lose parts of ourselves along the way. The types of parts I believe we are prone to losing are not necessarily tangible parts, but parts that sustain our energy and overall well-being; such things as rest, a healthy diet, regular exercise, and being good to ourselves.

Like the driver who was able to continue driving his car without a hubcap, we also are capable of getting things done when we're overtired and run-down, but wouldn't it be better to take a little time to give up our regular responsibilities and focus for just a moment on taking care of ourselves?

Take today to sit back and enjoy what Mother's day is all about - be selfish for a change and spend the day doing whatever it is that you want to do, and that includes choosing whether some of that time is spent with or without your family.

Wishing you all a restful and happy mother's day!

From all of us at WOOT.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true - why do we (us women folk) neglect ourselves so much? ME time is usually spent training for my first marathon or studying for my two college classes I have this term...not very relaxing! Every other minute of the day is spent picking up, putting away, cleaning, prepping food, cooking the said prepped food and then collapsing at the end of the day like a deflated balloon on the couch. Today - well, today is my day - I'm gonna do what I want...NOTHING! Happy Mother's Day all!

    ReplyDelete