Sunday, May 20, 2012

Probiotics - might be helpful for runner's with tummy issues

By Anna Boom

Recently I came across an article about weight loss with probiotics.

Have you heard of this? I had heard of it, in yogurt and live bacteria but wanted to know more.

  

lactobacillus

Renata, our lovely WOOT extraordinaire, brought up the topic on one of our runs together and my interest was peaked. She recommended taking them in a pill form. And whenever Renata tells me about her finds, e.g. acupuncture, collagen, probiotics, I am interested, because she is not only a strong runner, but gorgeous.


Coincidence brought probiotics back into my view as I read the article. I wanted to try them but didn't want to plunk down the bucks to order to wait for delivery over the holiday season. While walking the commissary vitamin section, I found one probiotic product with a memorable name, Colon Health. Oh grrreat. “Price check on aisle 3, COLON HEALTH, repeat, COLON HEALTH”.  I went ahead and bought them and started the same day.


What are they? Probiotics are live microorganisms, also called microflora and good bacteria, that help you digest your food. Not all bacteria are bad, as you know. These are the Glenda, the Good Digester kind.


What exactly do probiotics do? The bottle claims over 1.5 billion cells of 3 strains of good bacteria promoting digestive health. 1.5 billion bacteria! In each pill! That is a lot for the small capsule. From Mayo Clinic, here are a few of the possible benefits


http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/probotics/AN00389

*Treat diarrhea, especially following treatment with certain antibiotics


*Prevent and treat vaginal yeast infections and urinary tract infections

*Treat irritable bowel syndrome


*Speed treatment of certain intestinal infections


*Prevent or reduce the severity of colds and flu


Later that evening, I noticed less bloating after eating. And that was the sell for me. Regardless of the product name, I don't have colon issues but have found myself wishing for a flatter, less bloated feeling after eating certain foods.


Also this week, my 4 year old passed along a nasty bit of cold to me. I was feeling miserable Thursday afternoon and evening, but by Friday morning, all was well again. See the last bullet above.

It may not be the magic pill to instant bikini body, but what is?! A healthy lifestyle and a little Glenda the Good Digester Colon Health magic, may help you along your journey.


If you want to read more, check out the links in this update or do a quick search.


http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml


No comments:

Post a Comment